26 November 2010

A Break for Thanksgiving

There are many things to be grateful for, but family is at the top of that list. We never had the chance to pick our family but somehow they find a way to make dinner more entertaining than a comedy show. Ironically, it is very difficult to convey that humor after the fact or explain why it was funny to someone that was not there. Either way, it is a memory not soon forgotten. It is hard to say how many family holidays I will be able to attend. I am fortunate to have a very supportive family that will support me no matter what I do, but it still does not make it easy to be away. Therefore I cherish anytime I have to spend with the family and those I love. What else can I really do?

Josh joined me for the annual family dinner and saw firsthand the inexplicable nature of my family. He handled himself well and aside from the hours of driving required, it was very relaxing. We took the opportunity to visit Amy and her family including Colin who was born the 15th of this month. He shares the same initials with me so I believe he is destined for greatness. He will be a remarkable addition to the family. Not because of the initials, but because he is very good hands.

As for systems, five down, one to go then graduation. It is coming quick. As much as I have learned in this class it does not feel like it has been that long. Hard to believe that the nineteen and a half weeks will be over in a mere three weeks. Everyone has come a long way. Knowing that we will depart from each others company in a few short weeks sheds a new light on the camaraderie developed. I will be the first to say that certain personalities will conflict, there will be issues and nerved will be a little aggravated. That is the reality being in close proximity with the same group for a long period of time.

Fortunately, respect is forged along the way. I can respect the fact that they have made it through the course. I respect the fact that they have earned the title we shall all carry upon graduation. All things considered graduation is just as stepping stone. We will still have to work very hard in the fleet, but out there it will be a matter of someone’s well being. My shipmates may not be the best of friends, but they will be respected shipmates. It is a small service; chances are I will work with many of them again.

The respect for the system has taken time to develop as well. The performance tests, high expectations, and discipline demanded by the training center and instructors. I suppose it is like basic in the respect that we do not fully understand the system. What I do understand is the success rate of this group. We have lost a few, but most of those were lost to unfortunate family events. The group has passed the performance evaluations with 100% accuracy. Much of that credit goes to the hard work of the students, but the instructors have played a part as well. I do believe that success fall on the students. We have worked hard to learn and execute the knowledge of the material. The instructors have been there to guide us and have done a very nice job. Like I said before, there is still much work to do, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments: