08 December 2010

So close to the beggining of something new

Nine days remain until graduation and it is hard to believe that we have learned such a multitude of skill, mastered the very basics of medical theory and will be Petty Officers. It may not sound like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it does have some stature. For those that do now know, Petty Officer Third class is the fourth enlisted rank in the service. It is the first rank in which specific responsibility is expected. As HS3’s we will be responsible for the health of our shipmates, their safety and well being. I suppose no matter how you cut it, that is a big responsibility. We are confident and ready to take on the challenge.

It has been a long 18 weeks, yet is has seemed to have gone by so quickly. Now that systems are complete, our test outs are still performance oriented, but not nearly as stressful. As I had hoped, my last test out was my best. As Chief Elliott stated during test outs today, if we do not know what we are doing, we do not belong here. Although I have learned more than I have ever know about the body, disease and treatment; it has directed me to realize that I know very little. Don’t get me wrong, I know enough to get by and do my job well, but there is still experience and knowledge to gain. The world is large; I can only hope to make a difference.

Now as we do our final preparations to enter the fleet we are keenly aware of the responsibilities we will soon uphold. We have all worked very hard and shown the dedication required for job. It seems that what remains in trivial, yet as critical as everything that came before it. One of the most emphasized concepts is attention to detail. It is the importance that once we provide care, we cannot take it back. That we are providing medications, and treatments that may have long term effects on the well being of that individual. It has been a bonding experience a well. The people I succeeded with may have gotten on my nerves a little, but as I said before, a mutual respect was forged. I don’t know where to start when it comes to gratitude. Just know that I am grateful.

I will miss this group and everything we have been through. Fortunately is a small service and I will probably see them again. Yes Chief, these are potentially the good old days. I say potentially because I don’t really know what the future holds. All I do know is that I will do my very best to enjoy every moment and make life better by the day. As stated by HS1 Zaragoza stated today, If you are prepared there is no such thing as pressure.

1 comment:

Jay, Kathryn and Kensey said...

I guess there will be plenty of shipmates to help you out if I accidentally impale you with that pin, huh?

We are looking forward to your graduation.

Way to go, Mom