15 November 2010

Light at the end of the tunnel

I cannot say that anything really eventful has happened in the last week, but it has been busy.  One more performance evaluation is complete and although there is light at the end of this “A” School tunnel, I am not clear yet.  The overseas process is coming along and as much as I am looking forward to this upcoming adventure, the weight of it is beginning to settle in. 

I am sure it will be beautiful, but to be 7141 miles from the places I know will be a challenge.  Port Clarence was 2599 miles from home, but the circumstances were very different.   Interesting how the reason I joined the Coast Guard is exactly what I am getting.  I asked for an adventure and so far it has been.  I was home for a little while to wait for school, and it has been one of the best year of my life.  I have had family, friends and some wonderful individuals I did not know before.  To be honest I do not know when I will be home or close to home again.  Long story short I cannot put into words how grateful I am to have had the fortune to have been home. 

But enough of that I intend to focus on the positive of this opportunity and adventure.  In little over two years in the coast guard and my next assignment,  I will have seen three parts of the country.  Covering one extreme to the other.  The desolate wilderness of winter to a tropical environment with incredible beaches.  In just a few words, I am fortunate. 

Wherever I end up or the circumstances I face, it is the attitude that matters.  I cannot deny the fact that long distance relationships may have it challenges, or the drastic change in lifestyle.  I can only hope that the people affected by this adventure understand  why I am doing it.  From the responses of my family and friends.  If all goes well, I will have plenty of visits.  Overall life is great, The world is beautiful and the future is full of prospect.              

No comments: