10 August 2010

Reporting to A-School


It has been a long two-year wait spent at two great stations, as many of you know. First Port Clarence, then Airs Station San Francisco, now I am ready for my official training and officially start doing what I have wanted to do in the Coast Guard.

It was not much travel for me, just a relatively short drive to Petaluma, California. Although I leave several things I hold dear back home, these next twenty weeks should go quickly. I don’t know how much time I will have with my studies, so I apologize in advance for any lack of communication or contact. I shall do what I can to see the people I care about even in this very busy and life changing part of my life.

The campus here is beautiful. It was larger than I had expected from the few times I had been here for the shooting range. There is a waterfall, a small lake, lots of open land and an abundance of wildlife. The gym is small, but efficient and the pool is heated to be very comfortable. In the run I took the day I reported here I saw ducks, deer, horses and geese. I could here my mother talking to every critter in her critter voice. There is a PX, General Store, Subway, movie theater, club and the galley food has been good so far. It has not been long enough to get sick of anything here quite yet.

Among this display of beautiful Petaluma country side is an admirable demonstration of leadership. People are treated with respect because they have earned in, they will lose if they choose not to be adults. I can officially say that is better than basic training. I look forward to this training and will do my best to learn as much as I can. The group has done well to operate as a team thus far, displaying one of the many skills we will need to get through. Long story short, it is going well. I shall keep you updated and hope to see everyone soon.

No comments: