21 August 2010

Self Reflection of the Past and Future

  Like the steps we take to save lives, life is a constant chain of challenges to test the strength of our character. As much as the outcome may matter, it is pale in comparison to the effort we put into the process. The last week has been a lot of work. Even as someone that if familiar with the material, It has been difficult to perform well. It comes back to character and what we are willing to give.

  Those that know me well are aware of what I am willing to give and how hard I am willing to work. I hope to show my character through my actions, not through words. With that said, the most important thing we can do is be honest with ourselves. Be true to who we are. It takes time to know who someone really is, but in the meantime, we have to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

  Fortunately, I have had wonderful mentors in my life. I can only control my own actions, not the choices of responses of others. A more recent lesson is regarding leadership. As a leader you cannot force someone to do anything, just inspire them to do so. I am no more of leader than any other shipmate, but I do know who I am. I am that guy that wakes up and decides it is going to be a good day. If I am away from family, friends or loved ones; I still have a job to do. I cannot control how I will succeed or fail, but I can stand proud knowing that I gave all.

  In my short time on this earth, I can humbly say that life is not suppose to be anything, it will be what we make it. The person we choose to be, how we treat those around us and how we react to the events of life. I don’t deny that I have a lead a very fortunate life, but it did have its challenges as well. My personal strength is a direct product of the unfortunate events of my life. In lieu of that struggle, I am thankful for the person I am. Looking back on my life, there is a reason for everything I have been through. It is not my place to change any of it. I can only be the best person I know how to be and hope that I go in the right direction.

No comments: