17 August 2010

Indoctrination week Complete, Now More Work .....


Indoctrination week is complete and the EMT School has started for our class. The week consisted of Leadership Training, Class Bonding and general training. It was a good week. After we successfully navigated through the uniform inspections, ropes course, in depth discussions regarding diversity and an opportunity to get to know shipmates.

I cannot say the uniform inspections were the most fun of the week but they did show that we take pride in our uniform. Many hours went into our uniform but in the end it was well worth the liberty we earned. The room inspections were also a success. The most important factor was the teamwork we used to succeed. In the ropes course we got the opportunity to scale a twelve foot wall, and get over a “magma” pit using two by fours and untie a knot with everyone holding on to the rope at the same time. We may not have gotten everyone over the pit due to our large group size, but we found a system that worked as long as we worked together.

Undoing a knot during the ropes Course.

Diversity!

Crossing the "Magma."

Even more amazing than the teamwork we have displayed is the diversity that this group holds. In addition to the domestic diversity, two international students are part of our group. They offer a unique cultural perspective. Where do I begin? I have to admit that I have been raised in a very culturally diverse area, but the Coast Guard offers a different kind of diversity. We are here for the same goal. To become leaders, to become Petty Officers and to become Health Service Technicians. When we leave this place as graduates, we will no longer be non-rates with no official responsibility, but leaders that people will look to. I can see why the instructors want us to be so serious about this. This group seems to be very dedicated to succeeding.

I have enjoyed the experience thus far and now the tough part has begun. In a mere three weeks we have to complete the EMT Course. Then directly following that will be the Health Services Technician session of the school. As I said before, I will have to work hard, but I have a good team to work with and that’s all I can really ask for.

The River running through downtown Petaluma.

On the non work side the area is beautiful. I was able to go see Bodega Bay on a clear day and spend a day with a beautiful women out there. Petaluma is a very nice downtown. I enjoy the mixture of historical architecture with modern building in between. The river flows right through the down town, you can bring a sail boat and moor it in the middle of the downtown area. I look forward to exploring more of this area.


A sandcastle empire on the horizon of the bay.

"I'm not looking at you."

All in all, I can say I am a very lucky man. I am going to A-School, I am in a beautiful area, and I have a bright future ahead of me. Until I write again, have a wonderful day and enjoy every moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't visited your blog in a while... I am glad you have made the time to start up again.

My last school in Petaluma was back in the early 90's, and I still remember the morning runs and getting to see the wildlife. 'Two Rocks' is a beautiful little slice of California. A few advantages over the predominating rain here in Juneau.

You are embarking on a terrific adventure, and it sounds like you are ready for all the opportunity it offers. Study hard, and learn your trade well. When you get back to the 'fleet,' you will most assuredly be in a critical position to look out for your shipmates.

Best of luck, and keep writing as you can!!

Ken in D17