26 April 2009

Unit Picture, Bon Fire and ... The Dude




Spring is here, well sort of. Therefore we had the unit picture and the first bon fire of the season. It went well, actually very well. The fire was not huge, but it was a great time and many funny moments while the flames burned and after. The weather gods seem slightly confused though. Yesterday was Beautiful with light flurries like a blue bird day in California. A little more overcast, but very beautiful for Alaskan weather. The unit picture turned out well as you can see. We wore our trops uniform in the 35 degree weather just to prove how tough we are. It does look sharp, so it was well worth dealing with the cold.
As for the weather its considered warm. It is above freezing, overcast but with a good ceiling. Today the weather is a little worse. Still above zero with about twenty knot winds and a little snow falling. The Tundra is really softening up so we have to be very careful where we step or we may fall though. Supposedly that is how people get lost in the tundra. Along with the bon fire yesterday, we had a cookout with ping pong, washers, pool and a little catch with the football. The dogs loved it because they followed the food around all day. I enjoyed it because I got the day off from mess cooking. Did I mention that I have been mess cooking all week, it is long hours, but I find a way to make it fun. I dance a lot and sing random songs as the day goes by. Especially if it’t to 80’s music. All the classics like “Super Freak”, “Blinded Me with Science,” “The Regulators” and of course Prince, now know as tafkap, or “The Artist Formally known as prince.” Fs3 Scott and I have a good time. I have a good time with FS1 too, but she does not sing and create epic duets. His favorite is the Spice Girls, but I can forgive him for that. If you were here it would blow your mind. The great thing is that we can listen to anything we want in the galley and as long as the work gets done, we can have fun.
I am having a good time, working hard but still having a good time. A game of risk went down last night. The gods of luck were not on my side. Snake eyes is good if you are playing craps, but are the worst thing you can get in risk. It was not cool. I was the first one out after a very long string of horrible rolls. I went to bed because I had to be up the next morning to mess cooking. Went to the gym at six because I will not have time to do it after I get off tonight. I waited nearly a month for this to arrive and now that it has, I am a very happy man. “The Big Lebowski” came in and the Dude is graced our silver screen. We have not had midnight beach volleyball yet, but it will happen.
Life is good and I am doing well, Hope to see you all soon. My mid tour has been approved for the 06Jun09 through the 06July09 so if you want to see me make sure I on mid-tour. Have a wonderful day and I miss you all.

No comments: