01 April 2009

Same Old Thing, Sometimes Unforgetable

So here I am again to tell you about the experience. The camera is still broken, so no new pictures. I just had my marks done, I did all right. The topic for this week is the small things that we sometimes forget to appreciate.
Like your supervisor going down the hallway in front of you closing all the doors and looking back at you every time. "Sorry, are you coming this way?" he says as the doors closes on your face. I could not help but laugh. When you are walking to clear a door through a blizzard that should be in a movie and you fall down a slope not even knowing it was there. All your shipmates can do is point and laugh, thanks guys Those priceless moments that you would never expect or imagine. That is what I have appreciated this week. So I extend a personal thanks to all that gave me those moments. Masters, and the poker game too.
I am glad to hear that the family is back home and safe. I have to admit that I was a little worried, the ocean can be a unforgiving place. Not that I lacked confidence in their sailing ability, but when the ones I care most about are doing something potentially hazardous, I cannot help but worry a little. Weird, now I really feel like an adult.
In the abyss of isolation I have time to think of what I have done, what I am doing and what I want to do. I want to do medical so I am on the Health Services A-School List. I want to do well so I am working really hard. I am very grateful that I patched up my relationship with Kensey, there were some tough years there. All things considered, I am proud of who I am. No major regrets in life. It has been a good life.
Now to that blizzard; allow me to set the scene. It was after liberty on a typical day in Port Clarence and I decided to go outside to mediate in this storm. I was not worried about the cold because I have all the proper gear and the beauty of it was just irresistible. The wind at approximately 35 knots, just enough to lean into it and not fall over when it gusted. The sky had cleared above so the sun was shining through a billion tiny specs of snow blowing by. It was absolutely gorgeous. I was thinking that I was lucky to have seen it even if it was crappy weather to many people. I went out there in my coveralls, and jacket. Hood up with full facial concealment. I am wearing all black so I looked cool, not that anyone was there to see it. I leaned back into the wind and watched as the snow blew by me and sun shined down. I could not see very far around me, but the light reflected off the flying snow to make a very nice effect. It was like the world was focused around me, but blurry everywhere else. Haley had come out with me and lasted about three minutes. Then she went back inside and just stared at me like I was a crazy person. I just sat down, listened to the wind and relaxed for a while, I'm not sure how long. It was very nice. When I was standing, if I did not plant my feet, I would be pushed along the ground. I would go out again today on this clear day, but I am EOW and have to stay in the station. There is a really nice slide outside too. Maybe tomorrow, I shall see.
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, This is a covert message for Jay Watt, my dad. It is April fools day so be on guard. Phone calls about people getting arrested, the car not starting could all be a joke. So with that said, Have a wonderful day and I hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: