19 July 2011

The Rainforest!

  I recall in fourth grade, we learned about the rainforest. As a class assignment, I wrote an awesome poem. Well at least for a fourth grader. Since then I have always had a fascination with the rain forest. This last weekend, I took at trip to El Yunque National Forest, which happens to be a rainforest in Puerto Rico. It was an early morning departing my house at 0515 in the morning. After driving in the wrong direction a few times, I arrived at the National Park. True to its name, it rained.

  The trip was a long and, well interesting drive. As you have heard the Puerto Rican drivers can provide some interesting sights. I saw what I would call a standoff. Now imagine if you will a multiple car accident that closes part of the road. Traffic is being directed off the road over the median by the officer to bypass the area and some drivers took matters into their own hands. Instead of being patient, they were exiting the road earlier onto a one-way frontage road, and driving the wrong direction. When they met cars going the proper direction, they stared each other down like the good, the bad and the ugly. Unfortunately, honking horns was the soundtrack to this scene. The strangest part was that the cops did nothing to stop it.

  Allow me to get back to the rain forest here. I came off the freeway and went through a small town. After a few mis-directions, I drove through the park and was amazed by the dense surrounding verdure of trees, shrubs, canopy and rivers running through. The light was soft coming through the canopy. Spots of sunlight were visible on the leaves, roads and puddles. Occasionally a large branch would span across the road. I took a few photos of the two rivers that ran under the road. After about 45 minutes, I finally came out near the official entrance to the park.


  From here it just got more spectacular. The road was well maintained with tall trees, large leaves and breathtaking waterfalls. I parked the car and made my way to the information center. After some quick advice, I made my way to the first trail, camera in tow. During the day I hiked to Los Picachos, Pico El Yunque, Monte Britton and Cascada La Mina. I was so busy seeing all I could that I forgot to eat. But that is all right, I met some great people and a three beautiful women.

  Los Picachos, Pico El Yunque, and Monte Britton took most of the day. Otherwise known as the three peaks, providing the most spectacular view and scenic trails. The lowest of the peaks is Los Picachos with an overgrown viewing platform. I could see the two higher peaks and the coast on both sides. The canopy of forest below came to the base of the platform and spread in all directions. All I could see for miles was the canopy of the forest below and the wind blowing around me.



From the lowest peak, I could see the tower of the tallest.


  Pico El Yunque held the most spectacular feeling to it. It is the second highest peak, but also the most exposed. There is no tower and no viewing area. I found myself on an unfettered group of rocks with a spirited wind flowing by. The view is again spectacular, but the wind made this peak truly memorable. It felt like it could lift me up and carry me to the sea. Traveling along was a thin mist of clouds just below me, moving so fast it was barely visible. I would have to lean in on occasion just to keep my balance. It was easy to get lost in the moment and allow the rest of the world to just fade away. Just the wind, and the view were enough to experience pure joy.


   The highest peak had an amazing view and a spirited wind as well, but offered a little more protection. It looked to be an old shelter tower of some sort and offered the view of the moving clouds below. It was referred to as the cloud forest by the rangers below. I suppose because the clouds move below and above you. There is a very interesting light dynamic when the sunlight hits the thin clouds in contrast to the forest below. A moving vivid light is produced above this dark, deep green canopy of endless trees. There is always movement, whether it is the clouds or the forest. I cannot do justice to the beauty this truly is with words. I can portray the feeling, but pictures tell more, even if they still cannot capture the true essence.

  The life below the canopy was just as dynamic as above. The path winds through a dense forest of trees and underbrush. Creeks carry the clear water down to waterfalls that mist anyone that passes nearby and paths cut by the ample rain run the entirety of the trail. The rocks are gracefully smooth and covered with moss while the lizards look for patches of sunlight to warm up in. Spider webs are supported ten feet in several directions. As I walked along the trail, I could hear the canopy move and the rain falling. When I was expecting to feel some large drops, only a few reached me. The large leaves and adaptation of trees absorb most of the water and make even a hard rain very pleasant on the forest floor. The deep dark green is interrupted by burst of color from the flowers that bloom creating a very dreamlike state on the meandering path. The only downside was my hunger, but there was no time to eat with so much to see and distract me.





Looking up at the canopy.

A small creek by the trail.




  The last destination for the day was La Mina Falls or Cascada La Mina. This was the more tourist side of the park, so the path was a little more crowded than the trails to the peaks. I had to walk slowly, but it was at the end of the day so I suppose the break was good for me. The trail followed a river going down to a 15 foot waterfall. There were a lot of people in the cold water. Well cold or Puerto Rico. I did not swim because I had the camera, but I met some great people. My post rainforest feast was much more enjoyable due to some new friends met at the waterfall.



  Well I suppose I will let the pictures do the talking from here. It is a dream come true, to say the least. I imagined how it would look and feel, but it does not compare to the real thing. Like many cases in nature, the real thing is so much more than I expected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The rain forest looks so lush and refreshing! Was it cool or was it steam room hot.......on second thought, don't answer that, in my imagination the temp was perfect......and I wasn't hungry!!!! Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see you! MOM