27 July 2011

Preparing to Depart Puerto Rico

As my final departure from Puerto Rico and this chapter of my life approaches, I reflect on something my mother always told me. That Hindsight is 20/20. Looking back at the last six months, all I see is the beauty of this place and some lessons I learned along the way. Whether that is the natural beauty of the land, the generosity of the people, or the things that just made me laugh out loud.

Where else do you see shopping carts left in the center storm drain of a parking lot because it was too wet to put them some place where they did not block the road? Then they looked at me funny when you moved them so traffic could drive by. Where else are horses everywhere you look? Tied to trees, eating on the side of the road or just being rode by kids as their first form of transportation. The funniest of all these was old Honda driving down the street, leading a horse to give it some exercise. I have seen things here, which I never would have imagined. If you read the last blog, you read about the old western standoff. Although some of these things were not so funny when they happened, like embarrassing moments they become funnier with time. I cannot help but laugh at the “machismo,” I wish all you could have seen the looks I got for being friendly and saying hello. Who would have thought that we don’t have a sign over our head, stating if we are taken or not? It is funny because they give you a glare, and think they look tough.

Now assuming you do not violate the “Machismo,” the generosity of the people is noteworthy. Those that give, give very generously. If I ever needed directions, and I did at times, the people were willing to help or find someone that could. A cold beer, a shot or some grub was given if you ended up in line, at the beach or anywhere people are having a good time. The bon fires with the crew were always a good time for some bonding. Wherever I ended up on my sometimes-circular routes, there was always someone to help me out. Unfortunately when the addresses cannot be entered in the GPS, your bound to get a little lost. Couple that with the lack of street signs, lights and reflectors, you’re guaranteed to get a little lost. It never bothered me too much because getting lost is just part of the adventure. Many of them do not have much to give, but will offer good conversation and very diverse life experience. There is a very diverse mixture of native Puerto Ricans to people that have chosen to live here. They hale from all over the world.

As everyone knows, the natural beauty is what stands out to me. It is where I feel most at peace. I see the sunset whenever I can, and have been left speechless by the scenery. I don’t have to write too much on this, my pictures have depicted much more than I can write. I have met some wonderful people out here and I have conducted myself the best I could. I can leave here without regrets, satisfied that I saw everything I felt I had to see.

Now I start a new chapter in Miami, Florida after I recharge my batteries with the family for a few weeks. I am thankful for the friends I made, and the work I completed. I shall write soon. Until then, enjoy every moment.

No comments: