14 July 2011

A Much Needed Road Trip

I apologize for the tardiness of this blog.  I wrote this a few weeks ago and never got to posting it.


 It is strange how we imagine a place considering its history and what we have seen before. Puerto Rico is one of those places that has reinforced the idea that you never know what to expect. These are photos of the main square, not including the less beautifully maintained areas surrounding the area. I suppose that is what you find anywhere you go.

The trip started as a much-needed drive to somewhere, I decided on the lower part of the island and Ponce. It took a little while to find that area, but it was nice when I was able to get some grub and take some photos. The fountains are always nice especially with the heat acting as a mister. The food was all right, nothing spectacular, but the drive was about to get more interesting. I decided to drive through the interior of the island. After two closed roads and an hour and a half added to the drive, I finally made it home. The roads were tight and the drivers a wee bit nuts, but it was kind of fun after all was said and done without any accidents.







 As for the towns of Ponce and Adjunta, they are a typical town in Puerto Rico. The town square is an absolutely stunning displaying mementos, history and achievements of the area. The pride of the culture is apparent in the upkeep and presentation of the Churches, fountains, historic fire stations and building. The fire truck in Ponce is from 1928 and pumps 200 gallons per minute. I was told it still works to this day. In the historical building I liked how the tile reflected the details of the building. There were art pieces displayed around the interior perimeter including some sculptures. In addition, I appreciate the old trees that reveal the age of the place. Although some of this is done for tourism, it is a very intricate part of the culture. I can imagine how the streets looked when the roads were dirt and a busy port supported the city.

Life is happening as I suppose it is meant to be. I found out where I am going and now just working through the process of transferring. Leaving Puerto Rico takes a little time. I shall inform everybody when I receive my final orders. Until then, enjoy every moment.

1 comment:

Avery said...

Wow, CJ, your pictures are amazing!!! Makes me want to start my own blog! Or, even better, jump in my car and head south...