02 October 2010

Respect

Enjoying some freedom in the redwoods.

The world is more diverse than the mind can imagine. The life story of an individual is what has defined them, but not what we are capable of being. I mention this because we as a class had the opportunity to take a trip to the Armstrong Woods. Part of this trip was a chance to open up to our shipmates and instructors if we chose to do so.


The majesty of the redwoods was as I remembered. It is never something that can be put into words, but a picture can be worth a million of those. Even then, justice is not done unless you stand among them. The attention to detail in its design is beyond our perception. It is intricate from the cellular level of the tree to the structure that supports the incredible height. Although we never see the millions of smaller steps in the process, we see the effect and how it has shaped that tree, forest and ecosystem. I suppose the same it true about people.

Macro shot of the smaller aspects of life in the redwoods.

Redwood Leaf.




Everyone has a life story that has shaped who they are today. I cannot say that mine is extraordinary compared to anyone else, but it has similar components, to a different degree. I can say I have had a wonderful life. I am grateful for even my most painful challenges because they shaped who I am today. I am great at one thing in this life, being myself and no one will ever change that. Hearing the stories of others was beneficial for the class. It was an opportunity for insight into the mindset and drive of one another; to help us cope, assist and succeed as a class.

I consider character to be paramount, yet I could not tell you what exactly it is. Everyone has their own definition. I see it as introspection in regards to the person we desire to be. It is something that respect is based on, both personal and of others. How we define character is personal, yet we will compare everyone else to that standard to some degree. I must constantly remind myself to respect people for who they are, not to who I am. I hope that my character is demonstrated through my actions.

No comments: