20 October 2010

The Path is Revealed, but still much work to do.

I had to reflect on why I first joined the Coast Guard to accept the next chapter of my life. I suppose that happens on the horizon of any major change in our life. Nothing somber, but the review of blessing and opportunities before me.

I passed my Performance Evaluation and although it was a lot of work, it was well worth the accomplishment. Still much more work to follow, but it is not such a mystery anymore. That is what the remaining weeks here will be. Cover a system and then test out. It is amazing how fast the time has gone, only eight weeks remain and it feels like I have barely been here. I have met some people that I truly respect and others I can do without, but that is the way of life. Made some friends for life and some experiences I will never forget. Never the less, there comes a time to move on and that will be in December. I still have to work hard even though we know were we will be going.

I joined because I wanted to go on an adventure. I wanted to have a life story worth talking about. I wanted to help people most of all. There were a myriad of reasons, and so far the Coast Guard has been good to me. Life is what you make it and I have done my best to have many good days (Thanks Dad). Port Clarence was the wilderness of Alaska that I had always wanted to see. I did not intentionally choose to go there, but it turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life. Then I was fortunate enough to make my way back home for a short time. It was not the billet I directly asked for, but still turned out to be a wonderful experience. If I have learned anything from the guard, it is that I can make the best of any experience that I partake in.

When I found out I was nearly at the bottom of priority list, I just had to take a leap of faith and trust that I would end up somewhere that would enrich my life. To no surprise, my initial choices were not available. Ironically I am thankful for that because it forced me to do something I would not have done otherwise. I had the choice of two standard type stations or one that would satisfy the adventurous spirit. If you have not guessed already, I chose to partake in the adventure. How does Aguadilla, Puerto Rico sound for a change in life?

I cannot say it was an easy choice to make because I knew I was leaving some things I cherish for a while. The family being close by, friends, Hobie and Jasmine, the area I know and the women I adore. I would have been on the east coast regardless, so followed my gut and made it another adventure as well. I never thought that a year ago, that I would be headed overseas for a second time. But I suppose that is how it was meant to happen. Who am I to know what my life is supposed to be?

I am not looking forward to being so far away, but I am going to enjoy every moment that I can and live life to the fullest. All things considered I have nothing to complain about. I am going to be in Puerto Rico, how bad could it be?

No comments: