17 October 2010

A Toast to be Grateful ...

I may not be a big drinker, but I raise my glass (usually a Shirley Temple, the manliest drink on the planet) of Don Julio 1942 to being grateful. Grateful for the opportunities, the experiences, and the challenges in our lives. It all starts with how we wake up in the morning and of course the things we choose to partake in during our day, both volunteer and voluntold.

Class is going as it should. Nothing but 100 percent is expected of us and it can be a significant source of stress at times. I relieve some as I write this now. I do not have a problem with the knowledge itself, but the test can be a little nerve racking for me. I may not show it most of time, but I can assure you I take it very seriously. The most challenging thus far is the upcoming Performance Evaluation (Perf Evalve). The process makes perfect sense, every step plays a part in determining what ales the patient, but the test itself put me a little on edge. I try not to show this stress, but the same challenge is always making things a little harder than they have to be. As many of you know I tend to overanalyze, over think or just look way to far into things for the moment. Now normally this is strength, ensuring that I am thorough. Unfortunately the timed test does not feel that way. I have to throttle back a little to just give the info that needs to be given. Our first test is this coming Monday and I am ready, but my mind is always running through the steps. I am confident, but it is just me to be as effective as possible. This really is a change in me, probably due to age, but it surely is a change. I never worried about school to this degree in college, but I suppose that would explain a lot from that time in my life. Here I go, I will succeed, there is not other option. This is my future and my career, only I can make it happen.

Off the stressful aspects of life and the things I do to keep myself balanced. This past two weeks have been incredible in terms of seeing the beauty of the world. I went on a short drive down Highway 101 in the cover of fog at dusk. The fog blanketed the entire area like a curtain to remind us how small we really are. Needless to say it was absolutely beautiful and provided for some great photographs. I ended up at a diner were only cash or check was accepted; I did not have either on me but they took my word that I would pay my bill later. The reason was because I was in the Coast Guard and we take care of them. Now that is hospitality, the trust given to me at that moment. The food was wonderful as well.






Fleet week was also a highlight of the week. The trip turned out to be just my parents, Chief Casey, Lisa and Myself. It turned out to be a very relaxing trip on the bay even with the sound of the aircrafts flying all over. These show are for those thousands of people on the shore, the city and the bay that look forward to seeing them every year. I have seen them at least four times in my life and I still am amazed at the skill of their piloting. I remember the first time I saw them from Coit Tower and being able to read the writing on the pilot’s helmet from the ground. Now that I have a nice camera, I enjoy getting some good shots of them flying. The Guard was out in full force, a good portion of the fleet represented themselves very well on the bay. I am betting it was a busy day for the units in that area, considering all the people out for fleet week.












And to top it all off, I was able to go riding for the first time in a while. There are few things like riding a horse. It is an exercise in body language that you rarely get. Your movement, position, tension on the reins, pressure with your legs, where your head is looking is all significant communication to the horse. They get their confidence from the rider and respect that rider enough to follow their lead. It is an amazing experience and unfortunately many people only get to ride a horse that know how to follow another horse on a set trail. It can be a frustrating past time, but when you can get a good canter going, there are few things more exhilarating. You have to be the leader, otherwise the horse will. Hopefully you can find that balance where the slightest move will communicate what you want, and you can read what the animal is about to do.



So here I go, headed into another week and many things to look forward to. Until I write again, Have many wonderful days and life to the fullest.

No comments: