03 August 2009

South of Seal Camp





So there we were, heading south of seal camp. Going really fast down the beach. The Bearing sea on our right and Port Clarence Bay on our left. I had been looking forward to this day all week and it was nice to have Cash and Eck to join me. The scenery is equally beautiful several miles south of station with some foot hills. Nothing compared to the California Foothills, but up here a ten foot cliff is substantial. As you can see it was a beautiful day. The weather cleared up and gave us the blessing to go outside without howling winds. I was relieved that I felt better enough to do so, I had killer headache the night before. So it turned out to be a good day. As it as been a good week.

If you are following the District 17 Blog that I am also writing for the station you will have noticed we just had a Change of Command. There is a link on the blog to the official blog for all the Alaska Units. It is interesting to see what Everyone is up to. The new Commanding Officer is a very nice. He has reasonable standards and is willing to hold people accountable, but it fair to everyone at the station. Mr. Todd relieved Mr. Boyle in a very concise and professional ceremony. Everyone looked good in their bravos, our dress uniforms. I am proud to say that the distinguished visitors were impressed by the station and the crew. When I went down to new bay after crash crew in my bravos, I did not realize that I was the only person from the crew other than Chief Casey in a room full of the District 17 Admiral and other several Captains. Before I had a chance to find the rest of the crew, Admiral Colvin engaged me in conversation. He just came to the District 17 and was wondering what I though about being out at Port Clarence. The others officers followed shortly. They were all very kind and I think Chief Casey was amused by everyone approaching me the moment I walked in the door.

The Ceremony was accompanied by the wind pounding on new bay door. Like a heard of muskox hitting the door every couple seconds. Shortly after arriving at the reception, the C-130 was ready to take off for Kodiak. It was short and sweet, but it got the job done.

I would have to say the most memorable event of the week was the an event that happened during the ATV Ride. Eck happened to hit a whistle Pig and turned around to see if it was okay. Obviously it wasn't but she was not quite sure what to do. We attempted to give it a proper burial, but were unable to get it eyes closed. That is the unfortunate part. The funny part is that she was trying to close it's eyes with large stick and when it did not work she yelled out loud "It's eyes won't close" in a flustered tone. Following "I'm Gonna Cry," in a tone of minor distress. I wished that it rest in peace. In response to Cash's comment that it was a "Big A** whistle pig," she responded "I think it's pregnant." It is unfortunate that it got hit, but I cannot deny that the commentary was quite funny. So there you have it. Eck, one; whistle pig, zero. Haley has some competition now. Have a wonderful night and hope to talk to everyone soon. Until next time.

2 comments:

jessie eck said...

I really do feel bad about the whistle pig! =[ Im scarred for life!

Jay, Kathryn and Kensey said...

Did you know that a whistle pig is a Marmot?
Mom