13 August 2009

A Sharp Contrast to Winter


I can’t say that I dislike any season up here. Okay, winter has it’s challenges but as I have said before, it has a desolate beauty to it. The incredible thing about our few months of summer is the change. Where we would have no life in the tundra around the station during the darker winter months, there is an abundance of wildlife anywhere you go during our summer. Whistle pigs otherwise known as marmots as my mother pointed out, Duck, Foxes, Muskox, Caribou and a plethora of small mice and birds.



The life on this isolated tundra has given me the opportunity to see animals I never thought I would see or even be Close to. I was about 50 feet from a Caribou buck, and less than 30 from the lead bull of a muskox herd. That is when I am thankful for the 300 mm zoom lens. I can still get a picture without having to get to close. They are all wild and all unpredictable. I didn’t realize how fast a caribou herd can move until I chased them down for about a third of a mile taking photographs. I was up on the cliff or should I say ledge so I was moving with a little stealth. Unfortunately they had my scent so they knew I was there. Nor did the wind shift help, it just put my scent right to them. All was well, I still got some decent photos. Did I mention how much I appreciate the freedom of the summer season? It is so nice to be able to get out and away from the station. I have gone as far as 14 miles away from the station. Down the spit and to the main land. As nice as our facility is, cabin fever sets in sometime during the winter.



After I made my way back to the quads, Chief and I went farther down the beach just to catch the Caribou herd running into the wetlands. They are herd animals, not very brave, but fast. I attempted to get more photos once they were over the rise, but I could not move over terrain fast enough as rough as it was. We saw a muskox herd in the distance as the caribou ran to the coastal bay and then followed the water. It was very cool to see. A little farther down the beach we saw the lone Caribou Buck. He was not nearly as afraid; I got fairly close to him. He was keen enough to run through the pond teasing us the entire time. He probably knew that I was just a photographer and not a hunter. If the hunters at our station would have seen him, he would not have lasted very long. He is a very beautiful animal.

The final sighting of wild life other than your typical marmot roaming around the station was the muskox herd sleeping about 150 feet from the station. I had to get some photos, especially because they were relaxed and I could get close without alerting them. This time the wind and the location of the door were on my side. A single mother a young were grazing and lead bull was asleep. I got to about 50 feet from them before one of them alerted the lead bull. He gave me a quick stare down before he became more interested in the females around him. He was not getting very lucky.




Whenever I find to time to get out which is whenever I can. I cannot deny the beauty of this place. It is much harder to see in the harsh weather of winter, fortunately I can rest assured that it is just hiding. As for the challenges of being in isolated duty, the sights and opportunities outweigh the limitations.

I am glad to see that others have found my blog enjoyable. It is hard to believe that starting next week I will be at the top of short timer board. Meaning I am the personnel that has been here the longest. It has been a long tour, but it does not feel that long. I suppose that I should enjoy every moment I have left up here. I can only hope that others are enjoying their life as much as I am.

No comments: