28 February 2009

The Things Missed






People don't generally stay at the same building, or with the same people all the time. We find something new to see, someone we don't know to converse with. In isolate duty, that social and geographic diversity becomes very small. As much as you respect the people you work and live with, the constant interaction sometimes breeds undesired dynamics into the relationships. The things that would not really matter in a normal situation have the potential to become issues affecting morale.
I do my best to show respect for everyone around me and get along. I don't stress if I cannot get along with everyone because I know that some people are just not going to get along with you. I do what I can hoping for mutual respect. I suppose that when you cannot get away from it, you just deal with it in whatever way you can. I go to the gym regularly, Get outside when the weather permits, participate in the morale events and have plenty to do by myself. I still yearn for that human contact that comes from interacting with people. I am making some good friends up here. I have really just been myself and some have misunderstood me, but thats life. I am no stranger to being misunderstood.
I am doing what I have to do to get through this challenge. It is an incredible experience up here. I have seen things that I only dreamed of seeing before. Living in the arctic is truly a life changing perspective. To have the comforts we have makes it enjoyable even when the weather is at its worst. I can work hard, be respectful and just be me.
With that said I included some pictures of things that I miss. I miss the ability to just go driving and see somewhere I have not seen before. Going to the bar because I feel like meeting someone new. Believe it or not, Having a little Tequila when I want to.
Above all the material things, I miss the things that matter most to me. My friends, Family, Pets and the support they provide. To my Family, May you have fair winds and smooth seas as you make you way home. For the ones that are still land bound, May you have wonderful days and enjoy the beautiful spring in California. To my Friends, I miss hanging out and just having a little fun. I hope that your families are doing well and that I hear from you soon. Finally to the dogs, May I not be forgotten, Sorry I had leave you behind. A special thanks to Theresa for taking care of them while we are away.

P.S. I did not have to fight a Polar Bear, I became one. I will explain later.

1 comment:

Jay, Kathryn and Kensey said...

We miss you too Ceejmo. I read your blog sitting at anchor in Cabo listening to those puppy dogs of the sea (sea lions) as they come up to breath. They are after some dessert fish that have taken up under the boat. We haven't seen any sea lions since we since we left the sea of cortez in Nov. They make me miss the dogs too.

We shove off at 0400 for the bash up the outside of the Baja. Thanks for the good wishes. Love, Mom, Dad and Kenz.