01 March 2013

Thoughts on Costa Rica ...

Looking towards the entry to Golfito

I found myself reminiscing the verdure of Columbia as we entered the lonely pier in Golfito, Costa Rica. The port surrounded by steeply ascending hills on three sides. The basic pier about twice as long as the cutter sat peacefully in front of the village. Rust and plants like runes on the columns supporting the well weathered structure. In the foreground, colorful building spot the horizon with a low set beach of mud. The majestic jungle rise above creating a textured verdure that meets the blue sky as rolling mountains. Small water craft of playful colors lie beached on all sides, accompanied by small huts of bright colors hidden in the low lying forest.

The Pier at Golfito

The Countryside


The Mud Beach

It was a small fishing village with semi paved streets and dogs that happily beg for food from the boats as they pull in. The local are friendly, but meander on their own way. In the markets, every place has the best deal and hustles you near to show you the same stuff. It took a little while to find some local art, but it was very reasonable once I did. Marina’s to resorts were in the immediate area. The service was slow, but the food was fresh and the view was beautiful, so I did not mind the wait. We spent much of our time at Casa Roland, a nice resort with two bars, a pool and internet. Amidst the markets, small souvenir stores and tourist areas, was the cultural centers of the city. We were not allowed in the local areas due to high crime rate and had to be in by 2300, but I still managed to get a good look from a distance.

Looking up the Local Streets


what you would call the main street in Golfito

Ben and myself shared the Presidential Suite at the Casa Roland, it was nice but simple room. It was the only room left and the President of Costa Rica once stayed there, so how could I turn it down? This was convenient due to the required 2300 curfew because of the high crime rate in the area. During the day our time was spend meandering the markets, the small village, relaxing at the pool or at the bars. It was nice to see the crew relax and not think about work for a short while. I spend some time wandering around the resort and was especially impressed by the interior landscaping and irrigation for the plants. It seemed that the building was built to have indoor plants with open areas above them so they rain would provide them with water. I was a little disappointed at the lack of locals. Other than the staff, a few young women and some former military that had retired and now live there, it was mainly shipmates. At night the music became a little louder and the dancing started to a mix of known songs and many no one had ever heard. They 90’s hits seem to be more popular than the newer music and made up the majority of the songs that I recognized. During our breaks from the relaxation of the bar and the pool, many spent time speaking to family and friends over the provided internet. It was not the best connection, but a link home so I had no complaints. I was able to speak with Aimee on multiple occasions and upload the blogs I have written since this adventure started.

The Gang at a waterside bar about to enjoy some drinks

Enjoying Casa Roland


I enjoyed the streets of day more than the party by night. I enjoyed seeing the grocery stores, souvenir shops, and road side vendors. Many of these places included a view of the water and hills going toward the ocean. I usually had a beverage in my hand. I had one wild night, but kept it moderate for the most part. My friends made the mistake of serving me tequila, so I blame them because they should have known better. The best view was at the Fishhook Marina. The bar and eatery was raised above the mud beach stools that faced the water. The marina was full, so the diversity of the boats added to the beauty of the view. The food was simple, but that worked for me. I was just grateful to be able to enjoy a tropical view and a margarita.

The authentic cemetery



From here, we decided to walk back or more so I convinced the group to walk so I could take some photographs. We walked down the road to the one main street and passed a very beautiful cemetery on the way. It was built on a sloping hill with raised graves and a beautiful rustic gazebo with a statue of Jesus in the center. The grave sites were decorated with tile from simple to intricate patterns. Flowers decorated a few sites sometimes rising from a cross as if it meant to catch the sun.

Houses on the main road


A boat on the beach

The streets were simple and well worn from the years since they had been paved. Many Places had no doors, or windows. They would have a gate for the door and some fabric to hold and wind and rain back. Looking up the streets that ran towards the jungle. The pavement would gradually fade to loose gravel and be line by a simple field and what looked to be single room homes. I could hear the sound of children playing within the fences of these simple dwelling places. Even though they only had a fifteen by seven foot area to play, with stairs and small gardens, they seemed to enjoy the moment. It reminded me of my childhood when my sister and I would pack up the wagon with our battery powered jeep to go camping in the backyard. We had a large yard with a pool and were very fortunate, but the imagination is what made those simple childhood experiences memorable.

The market of Tents that all sold the same things.

After making our way back to the Casa Roland, we had one more night and day of relaxation before we had to be back on board the Midgett. The local market was compilation of three sided tents with hustlers selling products that appear to be something familiar, but at suspiciously low prices. I was able to pick up some local art at a small shop near the boat, then took some time to prepare for work to begin again.

It was the type of experience that I appreciate. Anyone can go fly into a metropolitan area. It is the more remote areas like Golfito that give me an idea of a place. It was a simple appealing life. The people do not have all the luxuries of the United States, but they have what they need. Like many places I have been, it was not what I expected. It was simple and beautiful, but three day was enough time to spend in Golfito. The trip was well worth it, and I hear there are some areas within a few hours that are just as stunning. If I ever make it there again, I will make my way to one of those places.

No comments: