22 March 2013

A Short and Memorable Chapter Aboard the Midgett

The Sun setting over the bow and Midgett's Bell

Going underway was not what I expected nor as long as I wanted. I write with mixed emotions of wanting to see more, but thankful to be going home. Due to unforeseen circumstances, our patrol was cut short. I know it sounds strange to complain about a three-month patrol versus a four-month patrol. I just feel there was so much more to see. I wrote about the places I saw and will always be grateful that I saw them all things considered. I saw the beauty of a mostly wild land that many only have the chance to read about.

Regardless of where I went, Home was always in my thoughts. Home is the place where the ones we love congregate and it does not matter who that is, nor where. I found myself appreciating the things that I would routinely take for granted. The ability to just drive, get a nice dinner, bring the dog to the beach or for a run or spend an evening with friends. I was reminded what it was to be at work all the time, and live that excitement and frustration that something can happen at any time. It was an adventure, and like all things, they come to an end. Amidst this shortage of words, I can say thank you to those aspects that made this journey all it could be. The sights, the sounds, and especially the people I now call friends.


The crew was incredible to say the Least. Senior Chief Monk was a very generous mentor along with the command. The patients, although frustrating at times always had a lesson to teach me. The hours not spend working were memorable as well. The tea times, noodle time, tournaments, port calls, games and unexpected conversations as I gradually got to know the crew. The respect and courtesy rendered was reciprocated which forged a learning and growing experience. Most importantly, I made some friends and memories I will never forget. I would gladly accept the opportunity to partake in another adventure.

I suppose the more pressing question is how have I changed and was it the experience I expected? Yes I have changed if only a little as we all do in time, and no, it was not what I expected it to be. It was exactly what it is and that is as good as it could have been. I return to Miami with a different perspective on medicine and an appreciation of the resources that are available. I am a better Corpsman because of the lessons from this experience and look forward to the opportunity to incorporate my newly acquired knowledge.

In the case that I did not make it abundantly clear. I humbly thank the crew of Coast Guard Cutter Midgett; for making this adventure more than I ever expected. Fair winds and following seas in your future endeavors.

The Rainbow that greeted us upon our arrival home.


No comments: