03 January 2011

Home for the Holidays

It is easy to take the small things for granted, like being home for the holidays. Since Joining the Guard, I have been away from home for several holidays, I am grateful for those that have spent many holidays away from family. This next chapter is one of those chapters that I will be away, but knowing I have a wonderful family helps.



This year was a little different than the last twenty something years due to how everything was done. My mother decided to have a potluck instead of preparing everything individually. We had some new characters there with a white elephant gift exchange. The great thing about a white elephant gift exchange is that you never know what people will bring. My criteria was to find the most useless item while others chose a novelty item. I am sure it will be back next year even if I am not. I even found a reindeer in the house. Hobie was not too happy about it, but he got over it. Some gifts given this were a talking fly swatter, an Obama Bobble head and a small plastic banana split with a doily. Can you guess witch one I brought?

Christmas day was quite the same, with a relatively new addition to the family. Nathan is a very adorable two and a half year old. He was the center of attention when it came to gifts even if his favorite toy for most of the night was a ten-cent ping-pong ball. He is the first of the next generation of our family. The family always joked that I would be the first. I don’t know that this world is ready for little CJ’s running around. Robert is doing a wonderful job as a father and setting a very good example for the rest of us to follow.








Never the less it was a stormy Christmas. Not quite a white Christmas, but it was close enough. I was able to share the winter wonderland with Amy over new years.

It was a gorgeous storm in the area. I did not ski, just played in the snow all day, like a kid. It has been a while since I just played in the powder. Jazzy and Hobie joined us and although Jazzy had a little trouble getting around due to her years of wisdom, she still enjoyed being out there with us. The lack of color encompassed by the landscape felt like being in an old movie. The dull blue hue was the only contrast to the dark hues of the semi frozen water and trees. Even in this what some would call dreary weather, we found time to snow shoe, sled and make a snowman. I suppose it was a good trip to take before residing in the tropics.




What matters is that I was home for the holidays. Family, friends, and loved one were there. Everyone had a good time. So thanks to everyone that made the holidays memorable and I humbly wish everyone a prosperous year to come.

No comments: