09 February 2013

An Ode to Ziggy


There are moments when words are not enough, yet they are all you have. When there is no avenue of communication that does a moment, person, a place, or a cherished member of your pack justice. They range from jubilant, to sorrowful and everything in between. The only constant is that they leave a mark on your life you will never forget. I have written about many of these moments in my life whether in my Journal or my blog, but unfortunately I write about an unfortunate moment that followed many I will forever be grateful for.

I write about Ziggy Touble, whom I have never mentioned on the blog though I had been meaning to. Unfortunately I never did find the time and I suppose this will be his first and last appearance, so I shall do my best to honor the memories that I can never forget. Ziggy was only four months old, yet he left his mark. He never had a chance to grow to become a dog, he was born and lived with the innocence of a Puppy. But I suppose I should start at the beginning.

For those that know me, I love animals, especially dogs. I have written about Hobie on multiple occasions. Hobie has been with me for five years now and I am lucky to have such a loyal, kind and loving best friend a man could ask for. So you should understand that for my family and I, dogs are not just a pet, they are a member of the family.


This short chapter started a little over four months ago when a rescue puppy happened to cross Aimee’s and my path. It was at the farmers market where a rescue has a plethura of dogs for adoption. Most of the time, we would just look, but one little white and grey puppy caught our eyes. I was just holding him at the rescue when Aimee came around the corner and simultaneously fell in love and reached her arms out to hold the five-pound furball in my arms. It truly was a moment, similar to when I first met Hobie five years ago. As if Hobie and my path were meant to cross in the unexpected way that it did. Somehow I knew this puppy was different than any other animal at that rescue. After a quick discussion and some reluctance, we left. Afterwards Aimee could not stop talking about the puppy. I made the offer to make him and early Christmas present and she accepted.

We brought him home that day and from that moment, he was part of the family. Hobie took to him right away acting like a proud father should. Although a little annoyed by the constant chewing and playing from Ziggy, he quickly taught him who was in charge. Cheeca took a while, but she warmed up once she realized he was not going anywhere.

Like any puppy he had his challenges, but for the most part showed promise to be a very good dog with some training and time. I suppose Aimee and I had some differences of philosophy with what should and should not be allowed, but Ziggy was doing the best he could. He would join us on our weekend brunches and would always draw a crowd. It was like people were unable to walk by without wanting to pet him.


He was always very hyper and would often times “photo Bomb” any time I was on skype with Aimee. When I left for California and my deployment aboard the Midgett, he was a hyper happy little puppy that put immeasurable joy on the face of the women I love. I said good buy in the usual way, never expecting it to be the last time I would see him. Hobie came with me because he was staying with family in California during my deployment.

Ziggy passed away as a puppy, a little over four months old, due to respiratory failure from fluid in his lungs; but I am grateful for the time we had with him. When I heard the news in an email sent from Aimee, I took some time on the weather deck. In the time I was there I saw multiple dolphins jump and a few turtles. It may not have the ability to bring him back, but it did warm the heart. I suppose it was a sign that life is beautiful regardless of how brief.

It does not matter how long something is in your life. It is the impact that matters. It was the last thing I expected to hear and to be honest it feels like losing a family member. The well of emotions, the sense of loss and wondering if you could have done more. Regardless, I have no regrets. Aimee and I saw an opportunity to give a rescue puppy a home and a life. Even though the outcome is unfortunate, the actions were done in kindness. Ziggy does not leave us without purpose, simply a valuable lesson. A reminder that we should do our best to enjoy every moment and that life is precious, because we do not know what is to come, nor how long it will last. So the cherish the ones you call family, friends and confidants and don’t hesitate to show the one you love how you really feel.

Until we meet again …. Enjoy Every moment.

No comments: