03 February 2011

The First Weekend Adventure

The Coast looking West

The Coast looking East.

This last weekend was the first adventure beyond our little area. Julio, Vicky took Tina, Karina and I us to a gorgeous waterfall about an hour from us and we went snorkeling to a very nice local beach. The pictures do not do justice to how beautiful it is, but they are worth many words.

The Trail going down to the waterfall.


It was the waterfall used in the movie “The Getaway.” The water draped over a slowly molded face forming an almost transparent sheet running down the rock face. Falling into a forest green pool deep enough to jump into from the highest launch pad. The water was colder than the ocean. Refreshing to say the least. I jumped from them all. The drive was not half bad either. Driving down the coast with the deep blue tint of the water off the coast. With the blue skies above us and the warm air, there was nothing to make it anything short of a beautiful day.

Karina Jumping the waterfall.

Julio and Vicky relax on a rock.

I jump off the rock as Julio climbs back up.



The Snorkeling the following day was incredible. The irregular array of corral line the sea bed and through a single passage, you could move beyond to open sea forty to fifty feet deep. The Corral and rock face draped to the bottom with numerous crevices, waves crashing around us as they hit the corral shelf and nothing but the sea floor and blue sea infinitely expanding before us. It was a sight to behold. There was some sea life to be seen, but the most amazing part was the diverse corral. From the very small to the very large bulbous corral the size of a small car. I went out twice. There is something very peaceful about looking under water and still able to breath. I cannot say that the free diving to around twenty feet feels peaceful to the ears, but it was fun to see how deep I could go.

This was followed by what I would call an eventful week at work. My birthday was a surprise to many, but they came through with a well played practical joke and cup cakes I did not expect. I got a call on my phone coming back to work from lunch after I worked through that I was late for a meeting and I needed them to meet them I the conference room. Much to my surprise, they were there to surprise me. Needless to say, they got me good. We got dinner that night and a nice restaurant and had a great time. Believe it or not, a banana margarita is really good.

As for work, it is going well. I work with a great team of people. The area out here is beautiful and the culture is beginning to reveal itself. Like any culture you have both positive and negative aspects, but they are as good as any other culture. Much of it is simple, but they get by on what they have. Sure you have the people that stand out as the bad examples, but for many, they are a very good and respectful group of people.

No comments: