11 September 2010

Living the Dream ... A needle to the rear

Now I will look like a mad Scientist as I administer this shot ( Diabolical Laugh )


There are few jobs in the world in which you have the opportunity to volunteer to get a shot. When most people avoid shots like the plague, HS’s flock to them like they are the best thing since easy cheese. And like easy cheese, they carry a bittersweet tinge to them. Shots are not the most enjoyable thing, but a necessary task in the job of an HS.

On a side to maintain my own honor I have to give myself the dweeb award. Don’t ask me why I asked this question, I honestly have no idea. I managed to ask “We don’t have to cut ourselves for suture practice do we?” As you can probably guess, it got some good laughs and even though it was my thousands question, It is most likely my most memorable. Enough of that though.

The first week is complete and all has gone well. We have started shots, some reading, and much more hands on than EMT school was. I have managed to get a two shots in my arm, and one in my butt. The butt shot hurt the most; just because it was around so much muscle, the longest needle and the most uncomfortable It is a sacrifice I am willing to make. I am sure there are more to come, is all part of the learning process.

All in all I am doing well. There is much to learn still but everything is falling in to place. The faculty has shown they care and are willing to help us do what it take to get through this challenging course. The only thing for certain is that it will be a challenge. I hope all is well for those that read this, have a wonderful day.

PS: I would like to congratulate my parents on their 28th Anniversary. They have been incredible role models to learn from.



Before I forget.  A very significant event occurred on the same day as my parents anniversary.   As you can probably guess, it is the unfortunate events of 2001.  It is not the main reason I am in the Coast Guard today, but the reason I choose to become a part of Emergency Medicine. It is was a push for my desire to serve others and be there for them in their time of need.  Like any event it played a part in shaping who I am today, as it has for any person that lived through it.  I still remember what I was doing when I heard the news and I most likely always will.  I am proud of the man I am today and appreciate the freedoms that we share in this country.  My place may not be the front line in defending that freedom, but I play a role in the teamwork that gets the job done.  Therefore, as a teammate, I humbly thank those public servants such as soldiers, sailers, coast guardsmen firefighters and police officers.  Nor can I forget the people that make the job worth it, the people we protect and defend. 

No comments: