18 October 2008

Thoughts on Basic Training

  I graduated from basic training.  I cannot say that is was easy or that it did not challenge me, because it did both mentally and physically.  It was not what I expected or what I thought I was ready for.  
  I was ready for the physical tests like the pushups, sit-ups and the run.  What I was not ready for was them finding a way to push me to the physical limit.  You don't realize how much stress can effect your physical abilities until you are in the situation.  I can see why it was necessary to experience that, so we know how strong we really are.  To know what we can take, what we are willing to give and to test whether or not we will give up.  I was very tired at times, my arms felt like they could not hold me up anymore.  At times I did hit the deck and had to rest, or had to slow down.  I may have rested, but I never gave up or stopped trying.
  As for the mental aspect of the training, it was difficult.  It was constant and never predictable.  I suppose it was different for everyone, but for me it was the more difficult aspect.  
  I succeeded and have earned the honor of the title of a Guardian of the Sea.  Earned the honor to be a member of the United States Coast Guard.  Earned the opportunity to see the wilderness of Alaska.  I got stationed at Loran Station Port Clarence, 80 miles north of Nome Alaska.  It is isolated duty but what other time in my life would I have the opportunity to see that area or to live that experience.  It was not my first choice, but I am grateful for the opportunity none the less.  
  So now I have another challenge ahead of me.  To decide what I want to do in the Coast Guard, and what role I want to play.  I am not sure if I want to be in health services, or even Information Systems.  Or do i want to be in the field as a rescue swimmer or a maintenance technician?  I suppose that I have a while to figure that out.  I plan to make the best of it.  There is not bad job or post in the Coast Guard, It is what you make of it.    
   

No comments: